What is it?
- Choleresterol is a building block used by our bodies to build cells and hormones. But when we have to much in our blood it can cause fatty deposits on the lining of the arteries and block the blood flow to the heart.
- High cholesterol can be largely preventable through healthy diet and exercise.
High cholesterol has no symptoms. A blood test is the only way to detect high cholesterol.
Proteins carry cholesterol through the blood. The 'cholesterol/protein complex' is called a lipoprotein. There are a few different types:
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL). LDL, or "bad," cholesterol. This is the cholesterol that builds up in your arteries causing blockages.
- Very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL).
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL, or "good," cholesterol picks up excess cholesterol and takes it back to your liver.
How do you treat it?
Like any disease, even if there is no cure, there is almost always something you can do to manage it and take control. There are three main areas involved in the treatment of any disease:
How do you live with it?
Certain adjustments may be needed to get on with your life, and often, some simple tips and advice can go a long way to making these changes.
When you come to a Lynch's Pharmacy Clinic, we give you all the necessary information available to make your life more manageable and allow you to better live with your condition.
High cholesterol, a comprehensive overview http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-cholesterol/DS00178