It is used to reduce the level of cholesterol and triglycerides (fat) in your blood when a low-fat diet and other non-medicinal treatments such as weight reduction or exercise have failed.
Why have I been prescribed Lipantil Supra?
- By taking blood tests, your doctor has discovered that you have too much cholesterol or triglyceride in your blood. These are fatty substances (lipids). You may not have noticed any symptoms.
- Your doctor may also prescribe Lipantil Supra (Fenofibrate) if your dyslipidaemia is associated with other conditions such as diabetes or thyroid disease or associated risk factors such as hypertension or smoking.
- It is used to reduce the level of cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood when a low-fat diet and other non-medicinal treatments such as weight reduction or exercise have failed.
How does it work?
Lipantil works by activating chemicals in the body to break down fats.
When and how do I take it?
Swallow the tablets whole with water. You can take the tablets without food.
What’s the dose?
The usual dose for adults and the elderly is one tablet a day.
Could it interact with other tablets?
Tell you doctor or pharmacist if:
- You are taking anticoagulants to thin your blood (for example, Warfarin).
- You are taking other lipid modifying drugs (for example drugs known as "statins" or “fibrates”).
- You are taking Lipantil and cyclosporin (an immunosuppressant).
Herbal supplements should be used with caution and only after informing your doctor first.
What are the possible risks or side-effects?
Common side effects include:
Gastro-intestinal (stomach and intestine):
- gastric or intestinal disorders (abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and flatulence).
Liver and Biliary disorders:
- raised serum transaminases (various liver enzymes) may be found in some patients.
If you experience any other side-effects that are not mentioned in this leaflet, please let your doctor or pharmacist know immediately.
Can I drink alcohol while taking it?
- There are no known interactions between alcohol and Lipantil.
- Always ask your doctor/pharmacist however as this may depend on what other tablets you are taking.
What if I’m pregnant/breastfeeding?
Lipantil Supra should only be used during pregnancy after a careful benefit/risk assessment by the doctor. It should not be used while breast feeding.
If you have any more questions please ask your Pharmacist.
Remember to keep all medicines out of reach of children
Please Note: We have made every effort to ensure that the content of this information sheet is correct at time of publish, but remember that information about drugs may change. This sheet does not list all the uses and side-effects associated with this drug. For full details please see the drug information leaflet which comes with your medicine. Your doctor will assess your medical circumstances and draw your attention to any information or side-effects which may be relevant in your particular case.